Saturday, September 21, 2024

Tell Me Everything - Elizabeth Strout


First off, I should say that I love Lucy Barton. She is one of my favorite literary characters. I should also say that I have not read any other of Strout's novels besides the Lucy stories. So, I was entranced with the panoply of the Strout universe who populate Tell Me Everything. My, what a book. I can't remember when I was so moved. I cried often, and the characters took residence in my head. There is not a lot of action in Maine, where the novel takes place. Bob Burgess, the main character who is poignantly real, will break your heart; Lucy remains delicate and astute at once; while Olive Kitteridge chimes in as the aging observer. I was absolutely swept away by the love and brilliance of life this novel reveals. 

No comments: